Friday, February 2, 2018

Last Day in Lince

Sunday, January 14, 2017

I woke up later than intended. It felt really odd to wake up, as I knew that I just had slept in my bed for the last time. It seemed really odd, it had been my bed for 5.5 months. In my head I knew that this was the final time; however, it didn’t feel like I was actually leaving my host family. Contradicting these thoughts were my three suitcases spread on my tiled floor. One was to stay in Lima, one for things I would be bringing with me to Huancayo, and my small carry on suitcase for the two week trip I would be leaving for that night. Eventually I got out of bed and got started with my day. I had quite a bit to do, as I felt it was only right to clean my entire room for my host family. The next day the Emma (from France) would be moving into my house, which meant the first thing on the agenda was to strip the bed and start laundry. 

With laundry in the machine I went to go eat with my host family. They had prepared Lomo Saltado, one of my more favorite Peruvian dishes as it didn’t contain chicken. We all ate together, something that doesn’t normally happen because everyone is busy during the week. So as a family, for the last time, we all ate one last meal together. It felt once again very odd.

After lunch, I continued the cleaning quest, this time accompanied by my host sister. Naty really isn’t one for cleaning, but she wanted to help me out and spend time with me, so we finished the bed together and wiped out the closet drawers. I thought that the empty closet was a sad sight, and Naty agreed, it looked quite depressing. 

The next step on my agenda of the day was to go and buy some snacks. While this was a very easy task that didn’t require a companion, Naty once again wanted to come with me. It made me feel very special to know she wanted to spend my last day in the family with her. It made me feel even a little more loved (and terrible) as we went to exit the house. Mamita was doing her usual thing of sitting outside the house and people watching. When Mamita asked me her usual question if I was leaving, I told her yes (refering to going to the grocery), and she started crying. I had to calm her down and tell her I was only going a few blocks to the grocery. Mamita always had got worked up about me leaving, but I have to say it did make me feel pretty special.

With Mamita calmer, Naty and I proceeded to the grocery store. I always loved spending time with my host sister, as this is when my Spanish came out the most, I feel very comfortable with her, and I know she understands me. We found all junk food, had a conversation about buying generic Inca Cola (PerĂº’s special pop that tastes like bubble gum), and discussed the different sounds of animals in English and Spanish. 

Once we arrived home, I ate the sushi that my host mom had sent Chino out to buy for me (a special last meal). I also ate the watermelon she had made sure she bought (another one of my favorites she knew of). Feeling special and full, I proceeded to my room, finished a few more tasks and brought out my little suitcase. We all gathered in the sitting room by the front door and said our goodbyes. Mamita of course was crying (although she held it kinda together). She told me that I had to come back to visit the house. I told her she was the first person I would come back to see, as my two large suitcases were being left in the house (she laughed at this). My host aunt told me that I was of course always welcome in the house. After that, my host mom and sister both took me to the bus station. We said our goodbyes, gave big hugs, and I left my host family for the last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day I Don't Want to Forget

May 17, 2018 This is simply one of those little days of exchange you probably won't remember if you don't write it down. So here i...