Sunday, July 30, 2017

Miraflores/First Rotary Meeting

July 26, 2017

I woke up around 8 am because the previous day Naty and I had gone to the bank too late (I had to pay for my first Rotary conference). Naty had to take me because you must be 18+ to go to the bank in Peru. After a quick breakfast of bread with some kind of cheese, Naty, Angye and I rushed out the door. Our trip to the bank was successful, and afterwards, we headed to San Borja so I could get my school uniform. Once getting to my school, I tried my uniform (which is awesome, post coming later). I met Angye's best friend and we stayed at the school a bit longer so that Angye and her friend could wander around. Eventually, we all left by taxi for Miraflores.

We went to Angye's therapist first, and while she had her session, Naty, Valery, and I all talked. Valery studied in Ohio (near Columbus) last year, so it made conversing a little easier. Once Angye got done, we all walked to through the infamous cat park in Miraflores (which doesn't have many cats anymore because people didn't like them). We all got chicharron for lunch and I tried Inca Cola for the first time. Inca Cola is a Peruvian soda that tastes similar to Big Red (not the same though) or to bubble gum. In Miraflores, I saw my first American tourists (there were many). After lunch, we walked and took the bus to a different part of Miraflores, near the ocean. We walked across a famous bridge known as The Bridge of Sighs. They say that if you hold your breath and walk accross the bridge without breathing, you will get engaged (sighing because you haven't found the one yet). We took photos on the bridge, and walked by little vendors selling crafts. Next, we continued to walk but closer to the beaches. We stopped inside a tourist office and got a pamphlet of things to see in Ica and Lima. Angye got a Arroz con Leche (Rice with Milk) and Naty got Mazamorra Morada (this was a purple gel with apple, peach and pineapple). We then got one a bus and headed towards home. We all talked about random things and Angye got embarrassed when a fellow Peruvian heard something she said in English. 

Lunch! I was mid chew :D













Once we got home, we all got changed and ready for our first Rotary meeting. We all sang and danced to Latin songs and discussed Brazilian dancing (which I concluded was a little too hard for me). While I can appreciate the skill level of the dancers, I felt that the dancing was purely sexual and it wasn't beautiful (reasons I appreciate dance).  Nonetheless, we all got ready and waited for Mama to come home.

Before the Rotary meeting :)

Our Rotary meeting started at 8 o'clock but we had to wait (I'm not really sure why, this was in Spanish and I still don't understand any more than 10% of the conversation ), but we ended up not leaving until around 8:25. While I was a little horrified (this was my first meeting, I wanted a good impression), Angye explained that in Peru, people are late all the time, and that people would still be arriving when we arrived. She ended up being right (although most of the people were there when we got there). Once we arrived, I immediately saw some large differences between my sponsor and host club. My sponsor club meets in the public library, my host club has its own building that it meets in. My rotary club in Butler is pretty informal, we sit around the table when discussing problems. In Club Pueblo Libre, there was a podium and table, and anyone talking used a microphone. 

I first met some outbounds that Angye went to first, then I sat around the table with the other inbounds (still kinda weird/exciting to know I am an inbound). I already knew Dominik (Germany) and Malin (CSRYE) but I hadn't met the French girls being hosted and there was another American living in Arequipa that was there (all of the kids that are going somewhere besides Lima have temporary host families because they all have to be here for our first conference). At the beginning of the meeting all of the exchange students were talking about random things, differences we had found this far or other random thins. However, we all quieted down once the Rotarians began to talk. I really don't know what the man at the podium was saying, but all of a sudden, everyone was staring at me and a Rotarian was gesturing at me to stand up. I was super confused and I questioned why me, but Dominik told me the speaker had said my name (somehow missed that, Delaney isn't the easiest name for Peruvians). After being a little embarrassed, I stood up and everyone was clapping (realized the speaker was probably welcoming us to the club). After all the other kids stood up we got to sit down. Now I was fully listening/trying to understand what was going on because I didn't want to look like an idiot again. My name was called again, and I took my flag up to the table to present it to the President. All of the other students followed suit (still a little confused why I am always going first), we took photos and then we got to return to our seats. After returning, I realized my mistake of not bringing the banner from my host club, but my flag. I kinda realized I probably wasn't getting that back unless I said something, so when I got the chance I approached Naty (Mama, tia, and Angye had all arrived midway through the meeting). Before that, we listened to a powering and speech that was talking about Peru. I honestly didn't understand any of it, with exception to when the speaker talked about the meaning behind the flag (I had read something on Wikipedia and Angye had explained it earlier in the day because there are currently Peruvian flags everywhere for Independence Day (28th of July). The speech was over 20 minutes long, and it was a little frustrating to have no idea what was going on during it. 


My Rotary setup, peep my American flag on the table (folded properly)


Still not really sure what was happening in the meeting here.
Group photo of everyone!


After the speech, I approached Naty, who signaled Angye. I explained that I had only brought one flag, and that I had a banner (Bandera in Spanish, the same word for flag, so I am blaming it on the lack of language). Angye told me she would explain the situation to the President of the club and I went back to my table. We were then served wine (which I ended up not drinking all of, I gave it to Dominik because I wasn't sure if it was rude not to drink/eat everything). I got my food, but since I had joined the table I didn't have silverware. I used my not so stellar language skills to ask for a spoon, knife, and fork. According to Angye and Nati, my pronunciation of Spanish is stellar, all of which I attribute to my vocal lessons. The vowel sounds in Spanish are identical to the vowels you use when singing (see mom, you were paying for a two in one language/vocal lesson). I think maybe they are right because the Peruvian boys at the table congratulated my use of Spanish. During dinner, Angye explained to the President what was going on and he went and got my flag for me. I thanked him and he was very nice (he told me it was my flag not his, so of course I could have it). I promised to bring the proper Bandera to the next meeting. I returned to my table triumphant and finished my dinner and desert. Afterwards we all kept talking and we said goodbye (this Rotary meeting didn't end until around 11:30 p.m.). Naty was very concerned when I casually said goodbye to Dominik and I didn't kiss his cheeks goodbye. I honestly didn't think about it because I have only kissed Peruvians since it is their culture and not ours. I tried to explain this to Angye but I'm to sure if it made sense. Nonetheless, I kissed everyone else goodbye (none of the other exchange students though). I'm actually pretty fond of the whole kissing thing, it makes everyone seem more personable, happy, and like they are your friend (although it different the other night when I kissed Naty's boyfriend and his friend hello in my pajamas with wet hair). 

Afterwards we all headed home. I took a shower (a warm one, I finally explained to Angye that the water was confusing). After getting out, Angye told me we were leaving for Ica in two hours (My host family has a lot of family in Ica). I was little shocked but I just said okay (because what else was I supposed to say). Later, Nati and Angye told me that we were actually leaving for Ica at 6 the next morning. A little early considering it was 1 at this point but I just went with it. I told them both goodnight and I went to bed. 






























3 comments:

  1. Good thing you are a night owl. I'm not sure if I would be able to handle the late Rotary meeting...who knew singing would help with Spanish?!?! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually struggling to stay awake, I'm a night owl, but when the night crosses into 4:30 in the morning it's a struggle!

      Delete
  2. Your blog is fabulous, really am enjoying following your adventure. I like your new specs!

    ReplyDelete

A Day I Don't Want to Forget

May 17, 2018 This is simply one of those little days of exchange you probably won't remember if you don't write it down. So here i...