Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Day 11 (Enjoying Ecuador)

Thursday, January 25, 2017


I attempted to wake up early, failed, and got up a bit later than planned. I went to breakfast after getting around, and later returned back to my hotel room to put on my swimsuit. My morning was spent at the beach, where I shared a cabana with Gracie and Els. We all swam, later played uno with Pernille and Laerke (Denmark), and even had to rescue Agathe (France) from an Ecuadorian guest that wouldn’t stop talking to her. I swam one again with Martin, but this time with Annie, Grace (USA), Gulliver (Denmark), and Christian (Germany). It was pretty interesting to swim with Christian, as he was the only one who seemed to go out as far as me in the ocean. The waves for me here were quite large. For Christian, I’m assuming they seemed quite small, as he is 6’7. He kept wanting everyone to go out a bit further, but being 4’11, I stuck to where I was. After the swim, we all went to lunch. After lunch, the exchange students continued to enjoy Ecuador’s sun. At some point, Martin one a ping pong competition, and I got dragged into a “salsa” class. The salsa was not really salsa, but it definitely was excercise. We were jumping around, going in circles, and shaking our booties. Nothing could top our instructor though. I’m not exactly how he was dancing the way he was, but it was certainly impressive. He would step with his feet in a pattern, but was somehow able to shake his butt to a different rhythm simultaneously. I’m not quite sure that I will ever be able to reach the level of the instructors dancing, but my dancing has certainly improved since my arrival in Latin America. After the dancing class, we all enjoyed the rest of our day. Els, Gracie, Phoebe, Salome, and I all went on a late night walk of the beach. It was certainly memorable, with us running around like crazy people and doing cartwheels. After our walk, we all got some snacks before we all went to the discoteca (club) on the resort. Normally, no one under the age of 18 could enter, but this night we were all able. I was pretty excited to go to the discoteca as I thought they would have some great Latin music (I’ve become fully obsessed). I was a little let down as every song they were playing was salsa. Don’t get me wrong, I love salsa music, but without a partner to dance salsa, I find it can get pretty boring after a few songs. Its a very easy rhythm that is repetitive, meaning with a partner it can be easy to dance, yet still fun. However, on your own, you can only step touch so much. So after a while, we all left the discoteca, mostly because of exhaustion, but our curfew was almost up. After we left, we grabbed a few more snacks from the snack bar, and then all went to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day I Don't Want to Forget

May 17, 2018 This is simply one of those little days of exchange you probably won't remember if you don't write it down. So here i...