Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Day 12 (Getting Wendy's)

Friday, January 26, 2017
I woke up a little closer to on time, got around, and went to breakfast. I was joined by Phoebe and Christian (Germany) at my table. We all tried a new kind of fruit I had never seen in Peru. It was the color of watermelon, but looked like a tomato slice with a green rind. Personally, I wasn’t a fan, as it was quite sour. 

After the experimental breakfast, I went back to my room to grab my swimsuit and to finish packing up. I met some others at the pool for a little time. Before long, we all had to go get our things so that we weren’t late to our checkout. I ended up getting all rushed around as I hadn’t realized everything wasn’t in place. Afterwards, I went and changed out of my swimsuit so that it could fully dry. Leaving it to dry, Gracie, Els, Phoebe, and I all went to take a final stroll on the beach. I somehow ended up getting a little soaked from a big wave (go figure), before we all returned to have a fairly early lunch. 

After indulging in the ice cream of lunch, we all went to enjoy drinks and relax before our bus ride back to Guayquill. Eventually we all boarded the buses and set out on the bus ride. As we entered the city, I saw more of the Guayaquil I thought had been masked by our tours; the rundown, dirtier, and poorer parts. We arrived at our hotel, quickly got our rooms, and then set out to explore the city. All the Americans had one thing on our minds, Wendy’s. Wendy’s is sadly not in Peru, but it does happen to be in Ecuador. All I could think of was a Vanilla frosty with French fries (and I wasn’t the only one). After asking for directions, we arrived at Wendy’s. Now I haven’t been to a Wendy’s in quite some time, but Ecuador’s Wendy’s were much fancier than the American ones (not really fair). They had a Wendy’s Cafe with all sorts of coffees, not to mention Frosty Frappicinos. They also had different flavors of Frosty’s, including Oreo and Kit Kat. Some of the exchange students got Baconators, or the four for four. Personally, I stuck with a Vanilla Frosty (we had to eat later). 


After Wendy’s we all went to walk around. We wanted to find tourist shops or a market, but we failed in finding both. We did however end up walking to the iguana park on accident. I think I also failed to mention that during this time we were walking around in the pouring rain. We were also with Courtney, who has lost both pairs of her glasses on the trip and is virtually blind. So we were navigating her around puddles, cars, and people as we went around. After our walk, we went back to the hotel. Soon later, we went out for a lovely dinner of chicken, rice, and potato. After dinner, we went back to the hotel, sang Dunja happy birthday and shoved a cake in her face. Some of the exchange students, including myself, then left for Manicon. It’s a more touristy place, right on the river front of Guayaquil. I walked around with Salome and Christian, taking in the views and buying a few souvenirs. Manicon was very cute and looked like an interesting place. There were little shops for food everywhere and beautiful views for the city at night. Before long, we went to join the others. Once joining them, everyone began to point out Christian and I’s height difference (6’7 vs 4’11). We all joked around, as we walked the strip taking photos. Afterwards, we walked back to the hotel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day I Don't Want to Forget

May 17, 2018 This is simply one of those little days of exchange you probably won't remember if you don't write it down. So here i...