Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Spanish Test

Saturday, August 26, 2017

On Saturday morning (to my dismay) I woke up fairly early so that I could get to my school by 9 am. All of the exchange students in Lima (including myself), had a Spanish exam at my school. I of course woke up late, went to take the bus, and ended up in a taxi with Angye because I didn't want to be late. After arriving at my school, I departed from Angye and went inside to greet the rest of the students. It ended up that everyone was pretty late. While a few of the exchange students waited (including myself) we talked with a few rebounds. One of them happened to be a girl, and after talking for a bit (I think we were talking about families and I mentioned my siblings) she asked if I was Gavin Fritch's sister. After taking a moment to recover from my shock, I said yes. I am still unsure if she was in Sweden or they met on Eurotour, but I definitely wasn't expecting to be recognized as a Fritch in Peru.  

After some time, we all checked in (I got my insurance information), and we all met up. We were divided back into our colors from camp, and then we set off to take the test. We didn't really know what was going on, but the test ended up being many parts. There was a written part that had grammar, a listening and comprehending section, a reading and comprehending section, an oral test, and an essay. If we answered something wrong, we got points taken away. During the oral section of the exam, they tried to have me talk with Valerie (Angye's best friend), but we couldn't really do that since we know each other. I ended up talking with Matt, which I was grateful for. Depending on the person, it is harder or easier for me to speak. I felt pretty comfortable with Matt (he is an American that is engaged to a Peruvian and helps with Rotary).

After getting my results back, days later, I have been sorted into the basic level (no surprise, I actually thought I would be below basic). I scored the best on the oral section (so I can talk but not understand anything), the writing section, and the section that I had to read and comprehend. Rotary in Lima is currently searching for Spanish teachers to help us learn once a week (hopefully they find someone).

After the exams, we all met up so that Henry could talk to us and give us more information. After that, all of the exchange students linked up and we walked to the nearby shopping center. Since I had grown to know the area, I was the navigator (I know my family is shocked). But I got us to the Rambla where we all had lunch at a Peruvian fast food place. We all struggled to order, succeeded, had lunch, and then went to shop. I didn't actually buy anything, but we just walked around and had fun. Eventually I had to leave (a bit earlier than the rest of the kids), and I set off to my bus stop. This was pretty exciting as I would be taking the bus by myself for the first time alone. After sitting at the bus stop, I got on what I was pretty sure was the right bus. I forgot to pay for my ticket (oops) but eventually got paid and sat down. I ended up getting the right bus and got off where I was supposed to go (yay me). I have since taken the bus by myself on a different occasion, and will now be taking the bus home from school everyday.







2 comments:

A Day I Don't Want to Forget

May 17, 2018 This is simply one of those little days of exchange you probably won't remember if you don't write it down. So here i...