Friday, August 11, 2017

Meeting Nancy Lange!

During camp, all of the exchange students learned that they would have the opportunity to meet Nancy Lange. For all of you reading, I am sure the vast majority of you do not know who Nancy Lange is. Nancy Lange is an American woman born in Wisconsin in 1954. She was a past exchange student to India and she also happens to be the Pedro Pablo Kuczynski's wife. Now I am sure you are all beginning to

1. Read Pedro Pablo Kucztnski's name and deciphering how to pronounce it

2. Figure out who Pedro Pablo Kuczynski is

To answer the first question Kucztnski is pronounced Kuh-zin-ski (not as hard as it looks). The second question has a simple answer, Pedro Pablo Kuczynski is the President of Peru. Which makes Nancy Lange the Prima Dama of Peru (First Lady). So in short, to be blunt, Rotary gave me the opportunity to meet the First Lady of Peru (and her husband too). I never imagined having this experience on my exchange, so I honestly can't thank Rotary enough. Not only have they sent me on exchange, but they have given me so many amazing opportunities already! The reason we got to meet  Nancy Lange and the Kuczynski was because of the amazing work Rotary and exchange students have done for the less fortunate in Peru. Every year the exchange students get to head a giant project in the Amazon to help villages. In the past, water projects have been done so that citizens have access to clean water and last year, the students built a school. This just goes to show you all of the amazing things that can happen through volunteering and bettering the lives of others.

August 4, 2017

I woke up fairly early (not as early as intended) for Peruvians because Angye and I had to travel to a different part of Lima so we could get her dress for the night of the Blazers altered (again). I was coming because the location of the dress altering shop was surrounded by tons of shoe shops. Angye had gotten her shoes the previous day, but I didn't have enough money on me to buy any (its better to not walk around with a lot of money if you don't have the intention of buying anything so you don't get robbed). This being said, we woke up later than we wanted, but nonetheless headed out so we could get our tasks done. Once we arrived, we realized despite us waking up late and arriving later than we wanted, it didn't really matter. None of the shops where I wanted to buy shoes were open yet (got to love the late lifestyle). It was around 10:30 am at this point. Angye's kind sewing lady was in her shop, however, so we gave her the dress to fix. After awhile (Angye and I burned time walking around and looking in more expensive shops that were open), the shops started to open. After trying a few stores, I found the right heels (paid around $20), and Angye and I headed back home so I could get ready to meet the Nancy Lange. 

After getting ready and eating lunch (you can't skip a meal in Peru), Angye and I left with plenty of time to spare. I have quickly learned in Lima that if you want to be on time somewhere, you better leave very early, traffic is constantly present. We were both glad we left early as we did end up getting stuck in traffic which set us back a bit. Eventually we got there, made it through the gate the police were guarding that blocked off the street (teachers were protesting inside of the park near the Plaza Mayor). After we convinced the guards we needed in, we walked towards the palace and the giant group of exchange students waiting there. We didn't really know where we going so we all just stood there and talked. While we waited, we had several people stare, and even had a group of Argentinian tourists ask to take photos with us. After a while, we were approached by Henry and we all headed inside.

First we all headed toward the back of the building where we all went through security and surrendered any cell phones we might have had. We then all headed through a garden into a separate building. We were unable to take any photos, but inside was truly beautiful. After we went into the building, we all went and sat down in the main section. We didn't know exactly what was going on so we all just talked amongst ourselves. After a few minutes, we all got up to take group photos. We walked through a separate room to a giant staircase. We all climbed up to take a photo (we were also joined by two late exchange students who didn't anticipate the traffic).


Before the photo was taken, a man I instantly recognized appeared with others. I didn't really know what to say as the President of Peru smiled at us all. The guide of us all awkwardly said to everyone who didn't recognize Pedro Pablo Kucztnski, "This is the President". We all just smiled at him, no one really knew what to say. He asked us where we were all from (which was quite a few places) and if we were enjoying our time in Peru. He was very nice and made you feel very comfortable (as expected from a politician). We then all took photos together. 

Sin el presidente (without the President)

And with him! He is the one waving
After photos we went back to our seats. An introduction was given and the traditional dances began...



During the dances we were given food and drinks. Macie gave her speech to the First Lady and Nancy Lange spoke to us about her Rotary experience. It's crazy how different everyone's experience as a Rotary student is. Nancy Lange went to India for her exchange. She began by stating how she had imagined her year abroad in Paris or London (a famous, beautiful city in Europe), but when she got her assignment letter in the mail, she was a little shocked to find she would be going to India. She wasn't in a city, but a remote village. She had no running water inside the house, used an outhouse, and could only communicate with her host siblings (her parents didn't speak any English). She slept on the porch because the family had no space inside for her, was always wet during monsoon season, and had a snake charmer wake her up every morning. While her Rotary experience wasn't what she had imagined, she talked about how she formed amazing bonds with the people of the village and how she had gone back to India 3 times to visit. During her speech she talked about all of the amazing things Rotary had done for Peru, and how she was so happy to have us in Peru. After her speech, the dancers came back out for a group dance. During this time, the dancers came up and grabbed the students to dance (me being one of the selected ones). My Peruvian and I pranced around, went in circles, spun each other, and he tried to teach me how to move my feet (I never really got it). Before long, all of the exchange students were up and dancing. We formed a giant circle, had some dance in the middle and switch partners (I ended up dancing in the middle because my partner was pretty adventurous). Eventually, the dancing moved so we were dancing nearby the door. We formed a different circle and kept at it. With all these students dancing in their Rotary jackets, pins were falling off left and right. I lost about 5 pins (my partner picked them all up) and a tusk from a mammoth on the floor (never found it). No one wanted to stop dancing but eventually we were all herded out (one by one). We all got to shake Nancy's hand and talk with her one on one. She asked me where I lived in Lima (I live in Lince), which happens to be very close to Nancy. She told me if I were to ever see her to come say hi (not really sure of those odds but..). 

Nancy Lange during her speech...
And shaking the hand of the First Lady!

After that we all met back up, walked back through security, and headed out. I met up with JeAnne (my beautiful French girl/host cousin), and we both went to go find our family. Once we found Angye and Lucia, we walked around the square, JeAnne took pictures, and we all walked out. 

Jeanne and I outside the Palacio with our gift bags from Nancy Lange!









2 comments:

  1. What an AMAZING opportunity for you and the other exchange students!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was, I can't wait to get started planning our service projects. If I ever needed confirmation that Peru was the right choice for me, the projects we get to do here are certainly it!

      Delete

A Day I Don't Want to Forget

May 17, 2018 This is simply one of those little days of exchange you probably won't remember if you don't write it down. So here i...