Sunday, October 22, 2017

Montaña de Siete Colores

21 September 2017

The next day, we all woke up at 2:30 in the morning and got around as quickly as possible. We were definitely all exhausted, but nonetheless made our way down to the lobby. I attempted to eat a piece of bread, but ended up just sitting there exhausted before we all boarded the buses to get to the rainbow mountains. They were roughly 3 hours away from the city of Cusco, so we all attempted to fall back asleep on the bus (harder than you think). The bus ride was through mountains and was therefore not at all smooth, meaning the bus was shaking and jumping all the time. However, everyone succeeded in getting a little sleep before we eventually all arrived. Upon arrival, we all used the bathrooms before some students decided to take horses and others chose to walk. I chose to walk instead of taking a horse, and so I set off with other students to get to the mountains.

The hike to the rainbow mountains was the hardest thing I have ever done physically. The altitude of the mountains made the air very thin, meaning after only walking a short distance I was out of breath. The walk to the mountains wasn’t short either, the walk was roughly 3 hours to get there. The views along the way definitely made the walk a little easier…

When I was almost to the top, I had to give in and use a horse. It only cost 5 soles, which was honestly worth it seeing as I thought it would do me in to go up another hill. Plus I got to say I went horseback riding at the Rainbow Mountains. So after my poor horse got me up the final hill, I set off to the final destination, the Rainbow mountain. After going up what felt like an impossible amount of steps, I made it to a platform with a great view of the mountain and a congratulating Charo…

After a break and some photos, I had the energy to climb the final mountain, with the best view of the beautiful colors…

After freezing my butt off (we were told it would be hot), I trekked back down the mountain with Courtney. We took some more photos, and ended up walking back with Nadja and Paul (Swiss and German). Courtney and I ended up explaining the U.S. legal system and the election results to Paul, who had decided to come for the U.S.. Along the way back to the buses, Courtney slipped and fell into horse poop, making a great memory. 


After we got back to the buses, we headed to lunch and back to the hotel. We then had two hours of rest (everyone needed them at that point), before we headed out for dinner. The dinner that night was at a traditional restaurant that had traditional dances. The dances were definitely interesting, as they had people in masks that resembled a devil and one dance included women whipping the men. It was also Olivia’s (Canada) birthday, so we all got to see the cake be smashed into her face (no one got to eat any after that). Afterwards, we all went back to the hotel exhausted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day I Don't Want to Forget

May 17, 2018 This is simply one of those little days of exchange you probably won't remember if you don't write it down. So here i...