Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Colca Canyon!

15 September 2017

All of the students woke up what seemed like the butt crack of dawn for breakfast (5:30-6:30). I woke up late (typical), and had to rush around so that I could make it to breakfast on time. It didn’t help that I had two bloody noses from the dry air (although bloody noses are much better symptoms than what other exchange students have). While I made it with 10 minutes to spare, I quickly realized that I didn’t have my contacts in so I wouldn’t be able to see the hike very well. So I decided to run back to my room, which meant that I needed the key to my room (which my roommate had). So I went and asked Nina for the key, except she didn’t have the key, she had left it in the room for me. Which meant neither of us had the key, which in our lateness was a problem. So we ended up running to the front desk and asking them to send someone to come and unlock our room. We ended up running back, grabbing our flags (which both of us had forgot) and I quickly put my contact lenses in. We ended up not being late, sometimes Peruvian time can save you. 

Once all of the students loaded the buses, we drove a ways to Colca Canyon. We all got out of the bus and began our hike. It was a little chilly, but nothing this Indiana gal couldn’t handle. The weather was also bipolar (like Indiana), it was cloudy and then sunny, so you were cold one minute, but hot the next. Nonetheless, the Canyon was simply breathtaking. 

First lookout point of the hike!


Jessica (Brazil) and I :)

One more with the flag!
Sabrina and I holding onto the flag for dear life.

Jeanne (my French host cousin) and I!

Tiia, Jeanne, and I (School Squad)
Sin Banderas 

I love them so much!!
Americans plus Levi (Netherlands)
All the Americans!
After the hike, the students were taken to the Plaza, where we all got off the buses. We went from table to table asking the vendors how much things cost. A rule of thumb is to ask around before you buy anything, because while everything is overall inexpensive, you can get it even cheaper by asking around first. Before buying anything however, I got to take pictures with a cute baby alpaca (who loved me).

Quite possibly the softest animal I have ever touched!
Alpaca kisses!
After the pictures I ended up buying a bracelet to add to my collection (2 soles), a Peru wallet (5 soles), and a sweater made out of Alpaca fur (35 soles). After all the other exchange students had bought their things, we promptly went back to the buses. We ate lunch and headed back to the hotel. We were supposed to go on a different hike, but it had started to rain and many students were sick, so they canceled it.

With the hike canceled, Macie and I decided to go and explore the Alpaca farm owned by the hotel. We tried to get the Alpacas to come to us (we kinda failed), but we did end up learning a lot about different breeds of Alpaca. I also finally learned the difference between Alpacas and Llamas (the answer is Alpacas are way cuter). 

Sacred variety of Alpacas that can't have their fur cut!
Cuties!!
Not so cute llama...
After the Alpaca farm, Macie and I went and put our swimsuits so we could enjoy the hot springs once again. After we got down there, the students (including myself) met an American couple and struck up a conversation. They had started in Lima, went to Arequipa, and were then in Colca (really weird because that was my path too). We ended talking to them about different cultures (they had traveled to many places) and the amazing things about Peru (there are many). We had in depth conversations about food, we all agreed German food is amazing. Eventually we said our goodbyes so we could all go to dinner. 

After dinner, I returned to my room with my roommate. We listened to music and talked. After a while Vera (Germany), joined us. The conversation somehow developed into one of German history aka the holocaust. It was a very interesting conversation, and it was very eye opening how two Germans can have completely different perspectives. One can’t bear to learn about it or watch films with it in, the other believed it was important to remember and never forget. We also talked about the problems currently going on in the United States.  We ended up finishing our conversation at around 1 in the morning, when we decided we should probably go to sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day I Don't Want to Forget

May 17, 2018 This is simply one of those little days of exchange you probably won't remember if you don't write it down. So here i...