Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Lago Titicaca/Amantaní

17 September 2017

We woke up early, ate hotel breakfast, and then headed onto the buses so we could be dropped off at Lake Titicaca. We had confusion between all the buses and who was sitting where, but eventually all issues were resolved and we made it to the lake. While the lake was stunning, it reminded me a lot of a Great Lake (only surrounded by different terrain). After we received our four bottles of water for the next few days, we carried our things to the boats waiting for us. I boarded with Sabrina and we climbed to the top of the boat…



Chezch Republic's finest, repping the flag!


Arrival on Amantaní
After a stunning and long boat ride (the boats went very slow), we finally arrived at our island. My first impression was that it was breathtaking and seemed very cut off from the world. We unloaded the boats and all gathered around to hear what Henry had to say. I had left something on the boat (go figure) and had to go back for it, so I missed most of what was said. However when I returned I dropped off my painting supplies and got in the line to be assigned roomates. I ended up rooming with Emily (USA), Gracie (USA), and Elsbeth (The Netherlands). After taking a picture with our host mom Juanita, we began the difficult journey to our house. By difficult, I mean tremendously hard, with us basically climbing a mountain just to get to our house. We stopped many times because we needed breaks, and we were all dropping things along the way. At one point Juanita jumped into the ditch to the side of the path to pick us all muña. Muña can be drank in tea or inhaled to help with the altitude anded breathing. Eventually our host dad, Papa Jorge came down with a cloth so he could help us carry all of our water bottles to the house. Eventually we were able to get to the house, where we met our adorable host brother.

Inside our house, the red bin to the left of the blue door was where the water for the toilet was.
I am forever grateful to have lived and stayed in the house I stayed in. The islands and my time in Lake Titicaca taught me so much. In the U.S. I always know that I am blessed to have what I have. But living with this family taught me that all of those things are not necessities. In this host family we had no running water. This meant that in order to do something as simple as flush the toilet, you had to scoop rainwater into the toilet until the toilet automatically flushed. This also meant that brushing your teeth or washing your face (completely normal things) took more effort. As for showering, it was possible, but all of us opted out on taking a shower. This was because when you scooped water into the toilet, it could sometimes splash up, meaning the floor had urine on it. None of this is meant to say that Peruvians are dirty people or that they have no hygiene, it’s simply to point out differences between my everyday life in Lima and my life in Amantaní. 

Another main difference between the island and my home in Lima is that Spanish was not spoken in the home. While my host family did speak Spanish, only Quechwa was spoken between the family members. Some families that had students didn’t speak Spanish, only Quechua. My family in Lima actually does speak Quechwa (it is my grandmother’s first language), but we speak Spanish in the home. Only my host mother and Tia Nely speak Quechwa fluently, while my host sisters know some basics and can understand it. Nonetheless, I am focusing on the Spanish for now, so I was pretty thankful that my family spoke Spanish. 

After our arrival, we all ate lunch with our host family, and bought some goods from them. 


Lunch, Quinoa soup with some veggies (we ate this more than once on the island)
The goods were a bit overpriced (not really expensive still), but we all felt a little pressured to buy from them, so I spent some money on a bracelet and something for my Rotary jacket. We then headed to the city center. 





Traditional clothing of the island (worn every day). 


Ignore the random Swiss in the front of the photo.

After everyone got there we began a climb the mountain. We were all tired from our previous climb to the house, but we somehow made it to the top of Pachatata. The climb was very difficult, and the exchange students all stopped often to catch our breath. However, while the climb was difficult, it was definitely worth it.  

Halfway up...break for pictures or because we were dying?


Almost there!
Made it without dying!

Smiling because I can breathe and take in the view!
Americans!
With my soulmate of a friend! 


The climb down was not only easier, but a lot quicker. All the exchange students went and hung around the plaza. I ended up going to buy some snacks, where I found Bon Bons. This is the closest I have yet found to a Reese’s, although Reese’s are way better, without a wafer shell and creamier Peanut butter. After snacks, we found Papa Jorge, who took us back to our house for dinner. After dinner we all put on traditional Peruvian clothing and headed down to the dance…
Acting like the serious Peruvians...

Going back to myself :))

The dance was tons of fun, and very very hot. I let loose a bit and my sash holding my skirt came off, meaning it had to be retied. A very nice Peruvian man retied my skirt for me, but he seemed to think I was much smaller than I am. My skirt was now tied very tight. The altitude already made it difficult to breath, add a tight skirt and dancing around without a care, and you are struggling a lot to breath. Nonetheless I had a great time, and danced in a circle of everyone with everyone watching. Dancing is growing on me in Peru (that is when I can breath). 
Sabrina and I :)

Adding Levi (Netherlands) to the mix!

After the dance let out, we all met back up with Papa Jorge, who graciously untied my skirt for me after I had to sit down so I could attempt to get oxygen to my lungs. After that, we trekked back up the difficult path to our house, and after figuring out how to wash our faces and brush our teeth, we all went to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day I Don't Want to Forget

May 17, 2018 This is simply one of those little days of exchange you probably won't remember if you don't write it down. So here i...