Monday, January 1, 2018

Xmas in Ica (Day 2)

Saturday 23rd of December

We all woke up fairly early so that we could hit the road and get to the bus station to get tickets for Paracas. It ended up that there were no buses, so we ended up getting in a car with a tour guide who would taking us around Paracas. After a car ride of an hour and some, we arrived at the beach in Paracas. While this beach was beautiful and sunny and sandy, it wasn’t for swimming, but for leaving on a boat to see the wildlife. 






After booking our tour, we go in line to board our boat. After a little mix up we were able to board the bus. Alongside us was a giant group of Americans. It was very odd to be surrounded by a group of people speaking your own language while you are speaking a language that is not your own. It also makes you feel pretty proud of yourself and like you have a little secret, being able to fully understand a language and kinda understand another is an awesome thing. On the boat ride the Americans were playing music from a speakers, and good music if you ask me. They were playing Latin music (which is pretty much all I listen to). This meant not only the Americans were having a good time on the boat, but all the Peruvians. At one point my host mom was dancing with one of the Peruvians on a moving boat. This was not only a bit comical for me, but it was made better as the American was saying encouraging things in English that she couldn’t understand. 

Eventually we arrived at the places around the tour (after getting very wet). The wildlife was beautiful, once again PerĂº was showcasing it’s natural beauty. There was also another aspect of history left from ancient peoples. 




Sea Lions!

Peruvian Penguins!

My spirit animals :)


After the boat tour we returned back to shore and bought a few souvenirs before we headed to a nearby museum so that we could further learn about the wildlife. After that we went to Playa Roja, which gets its name from the red sand. 
  Afterwards we went to a beach where we could actually swim. It was perfect, warm and sandy. I however hadn’t  brought my swimsuit (as there had been some confusion as to what was going on) so I ended up swimming in my clothes (wasn’t going to miss this opportunity). My host mom seemed very concerned about the fact that I was actually swimming and not just wading. I had explained many times that Indiana has tons of lakes, meaning I have been swimming my entire life, but she seemed surprise nonetheless. After a while, we had to go back to shore and after the car ride, back to Ica.

Once we arrived, we all showered and changed our clothes. It was fairly late at this point, and we all sat down and rested. Eventually, we went back to decorating the house for Christmas, meaning that we went and bought some more lights. After the decorating, I went to change and get my butt to bed. Not only were we bone tired, but tomorrow was Christmas Eve, meaning it would be a big day. 

However as soon as my host sister saw me in my jammies, she told me that I probably should go change, as lots of the family would be over to celebrate my aunt’s birthday (which was the same day as Christmas Eve). My host mom then informed me that not only would some family members be over, but a mariachi band would also be coming. 



So I went to go change, ended up greeting a few family members, and before a knew it, the sounds of a mariachi band could be hear down the street. Before I knew it they were outside the house, and a moment later they were up the staircase and in the house. We were then dancing and clapping and singing and giving speeches and of course drinking (not me). The night was definitely interesting as at one point I was getting serenaded and had no clue what he was singing about. After the band left, we sat around and gave speeches. Eventually everyone tired out enough and we went to bed on Christmas (at 3 am). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day I Don't Want to Forget

May 17, 2018 This is simply one of those little days of exchange you probably won't remember if you don't write it down. So here i...