Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Days with Tiia

As mentioned quite a few times on my blog, Tiia is one of my best friends. Not only is she the sweetest person I know, she is the cutest and the coolest. This is why I called upon her to do something very important with me. We only had school for three days that week, so on our days off, we decided to explore more of the city that we love so much. But more importantly, I enlisted Tiia to help me on my quest to find Mexican food in Lima.

You might be wondering why the heck I want to eat Mexican food when I live in PerĂº. And while that is definitely a valid question, the answer is that Mexican food is delicious and I eat it all the time in the United States. Which means having been in PerĂº for some time, I have grown to miss my enchiladas, tacos, and everything delicious that comes from the blessed southern neighbor of the U.S.. With that said, Tiia and I decided to embark to San Isidro to not only get some Mexican food, but to see some new aspects of our city.

Tiia arrived to my house a bit later than intended (I think all the exchange students here are adapting to that part of the culture), which meant I was close to starving by the time my girl arrived. After checking our bus routes, we walked to what we believed to be the correct bus stop. We were wrong, as after we got on the bus, we realized we were going the wrong direction. Not worried, we just hopped of the bus and crossed the street to take another. Now I know which direction takes me to San Isidro and which direction doesn't. After a quick little bus ride, Tiia and I hopped of the bus and walked to through a park of olive trees. Eventually, we arrived at the Mexican restaurant, where we quickly were sat down and served. Not knowing what to eat, we settled on Tacos and Nachos (quite basic I know, but we wanted to start easy).


After a satisfying lunch, we decided to head to a pre-Incan ruin that was located only a few blocks away. The after arriving, we paid 5 soles to enter and then read up on the history. The ruin was really cool and very out of place in San Isidro (the most commercialized and leading district of industry in Lima). Tiia was impressed with my reading skills, as we stopped to read the signs and I finished it apparently way too quickly. I read the sign and moved on to the next one, but when Tiia joined me at the second sign, she asked if I had actually read the whole thing. I of course had, but it still made me laugh a bit. We ended up taking pictures of the ruin, before heading on to the next thing.

That next thing ended up being a Starbucks so that we could get wifi. We needed the wifi to locate our bus and bus stop. After getting our drinks and the wifi, we headed back to our bus stop, which was through the park of olive trees. Tiia and I wanted to take pictures on the olive trees, so I sat down on a branch of one and was posing when we got whistled at by a patrolman of the park. Not knowing what to say, Tiia just talked to me in Finnish and I pretended to talk in Finnish until we passed him. It worked, as he didn't stop us for sitting on the trees. After that, we made it to the bus stop and got safely back to my house.

The next day, Tiia and I got up and went to explore some of the shops close to my house. I would describe these as thrift shops. You can get really good deals for clothing, and get some cool clothing pieces. As mentioned before, Tiia is the coolest person I know, not only because she can dance like no one's business, but because she can wear the coolest clothes and pull them off. This is how I knew Tiia was the one to take with me to go thrifting.

After getting around Tiia and I walked in the general direction of the shops. After finding our first one, we struck gold when Tiia found a jacket straight out of the 80's or 90's. Personally, I could have never had pulled it off or even picked up the jacket, but Tiia being Tiia, looked suave. After she paid 40 soles, we headed back to a park nearby my house to meet up with our friend Isaac (Peruvian). Once meeting Isaac, we sat in the park and talked, while enjoying the sunshine. We also listened to some Reggaeton, both mine and Isaac's favorite music (Isaac is a really good singer so this is how we bonded).

After our Reggaeton session, Tiia and I decided that we wanted Cinnabon, and so we all set out for around a 1.5 mile walk to a different district of Lima (actually walked through two) until we got to a nearby shopping mall in San Isidro. Once we made it, we got our Cinnabon and sat down to enjoy. Isaac told me (a now normal occurrence) that I eat a lot of sugar and that I am going to die because of it. We also discussed what we could do after our Cinnabon treats, and decided to go for Isaac's suggestion, see a movie. That day happened to be the day of movies, meaning we only had to pay 5 soles to watch a movie (Under 2 dollars). While Isaac could not join us, he did make  sure we paid for the theater and got in safe and sound :) So, after saying goodbye to our Peruvian companion, Tiia and I set off to go watch our film (it was a children's film about a Condor, a type of bird). While I didn't understand all of the film, I understood enough to follow and to enjoy it. After our movie, Tiia and I set back to my house before she went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day I Don't Want to Forget

May 17, 2018 This is simply one of those little days of exchange you probably won't remember if you don't write it down. So here i...